Guide to IRC
You may find it useful to print this page out for reference.
Here is what you need to do to take part in IRC chats:
Here are some other useful commands:
- Download suitable IRC software.
- Configure the program to connect to IRC server called brisbane.qld.au.undernet.org and port number 6667.
- Select "Connect" to actually carry out the connection.
- Wait...it may take a minute or so to connect. You will see a screenful of information about the server.
- Enter a nickname, say Ricky, for yourself by typing:
- Join the discussion forum or "channel" by entering:
- Have fun typing your thoughts!
- Quit the IRC program
- Leave the forum/channel called #netfreedom. The "#" indicates that this is a public channel.
- Sends a message saying that you carried out "action". For example,
/me scratches head might display: Ricky scratches head.
- Displays information about user called "nick".
- Tells you which users are participating in the forum/channel "#netfreedom".
- Lists all the available forums/channels. This may take some time!